11/12/2009

I got a feeling this is gonna hurt

Today marks the beginning of something I like to call "Operation: Run Fat Ass Run". Why is this? Well a couple of reasons.

First this is. After years of emergent 911 response, I now find myself in the transfer business. Now, I know some people are gonna give me a big "whiskey tango foxtrot" on that one, but bare with me here. Where I live it, there are only two private services within driving distance that handle fast paced, progressive 911 service. I have worked for both in the past. One I can't go back to, nothing involving patient care, just me being me. (Hey, I was young and stupid). And the other, after taking it up the wahzo from them, I won't go back to. Aside from that, if you want emergent response where I live, you gotta be a fire fighter. I'm not gonna re fan the flames of fire medic vs non fire (that's for another story), but suffice to say it just ain't me.

So that leaves me here. But don't fret true believers. I'm not just knocking granny all day. The service I am with does a lot of ALS and critical runs, and to be honest I am learning about a lot of stuff we just didn't deal with in the 911 world. For the first time in years I have moments where I feel over my head.

So, what does this have to do with Operation: Run Fat Ass Run (ORFAR)? Well, this service is also the largest aeromedical response (emergent chopper and fixed wing) in my area. I have the qualifications to fly, but as of right now I'm over their flight weight. Yeah, a few years of overnights eating burgers and chicken legs will pack it on. I'll roughly 6 months until I can even apply for transfer. So I have at least that long to get to weight.

Aside from that, there is another reason.

True story, funny story. A friend of mine(best friend, known him probably 20 years) comes up to me and says "Hey John, I got this event you should do with me. Yeah it's a run, but hey, free beer after"! And if you know me, you know free beer is like my kryptonite. I'm weak to its temptations. So I sure, and promise to do it. It was then that I found out that this little even was actually: The Warrior Dash

So yeah, I'm f*cked.

But I made a promise to give it a run, plus the time of the race coincides with my 6 months. Everything has seemed to of fallen into place, and the cosmos has given me a reason to get myself right.

So... just pray I don't keel over and stroke out in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment